In this article, let’s find out an overview of GX-Works 2 software in PLC programming . What are the internal configuration of GX Works 2?
What is GX-Works 2 software?
Software GX-Works 2 is an upgrade and replacement software for GX Developer software, programming for PLC FX, Q, L, A, S, CNC series.
Introduction of GX-Works 2 software
Configuring the monitor in GX Works2
first . Title bar
The title bar shows the name of the project in use
2. Menu Bar
The menu bar is used quite often when working with GX Works2. Click on the menu bar to select different functions from the menu bar.
The toolbar includes very intuitive and easy-to-use icons for common functions. It makes operations faster.
When working with multiple open windows, it presents itself as a tab browser. Clicking on the tab will activate the corresponding working window.
5. View the displayed content
View display content represents the contents of the current visualizer
6. Project management area
View the currently selected area showing the contents of the current area
7. Program editing area (work window)
The edit screen presents a variety of screens such as the program creation screen and the comment generation screen for editing lader charts, annotations, and parameters.
8. Output window
The output window shows the compilation and checking the results (such as errors and warnings).
>>> See more Overview of RobotStudio in robot programming ABB
9. Status bar
The status bar shows the status information of GX Works2.
Start GX Works 2
You Click the Start icon -> Select [All Programs].-> [MELSOFT Application].-> [GX Works2].-> Click [GX Works2].
GX Works2 starts up.
Create a new project
Click on the toolbar and select [Project] → [New Project] ( Ctrl + N ).
Click on "Project Type"->The "Project Type" category will appear. Select "Simple Project".
Click the "PLC Series" list button -> Danh mục "PLC Series" hiện lên. Select "QCPU (Q mode)".
Click "PLC Type" button-> "PLC Type" list appears. Select "Q06UDH"..-> click OK
A new project is created.
first . Edit screen
2. Change the screen size on the edit screen
The screen size of the edited screen is changed
You Click [View] → [Zoom].
The Zoom dialog box appears
3. Change the font size on the edit screen
The font size on the screen is subject to change
You click select [View] → [Text Size] → [Bigger]/[Smaller].
The font size is changed each time this step is performed within 10 times..
4. Show/hide comments
Device notes (note labels), notes, and banners can be shown or hidden.
You click select [View] → [Comment]/[Statement]/[Note].
Note: Show/hide comments
Comments can be shown or hidden by the following operation:
[Tool] → [Option] → "Program Editor" → "Ladder" → "Comment"
5. Set number of rows and columns to show comments
Option setting allows to change the number of rows and columns to show device notes
You Click [Tool] → [Option].
The Options screen appears..
Next, click "Program Editor" → "Ladder" → "Comment".
The screen to set the device note presentation format appears.
6. Set the number of switches displayed in the ladder program
Setting this section allows to change the number of switches displayed in a row.
Click "Program Editor" → "Ladder" → "Ladder Diagram" in the Option screen
The Display Format setting screen for the ladder chart appears
7. Rename display labels and display devices
A program that uses a label can switch between the label name and the device name.
The label annotation and the device annotation used will give the corresponding on-screen caption.
Devices used with the compiler can convert the label display to the device name display.
You Click [View] → [Device Display]
8. Hide a ladder block
The ladder block after transformation can be hidden
The ladder block associated with the statement is hidden while the statement is displayed.
- Move the mouse to the ladder block you want to hide
- Click [View] → [Non-Display Ladder Block].
- The selected ladder block is hidden
Cancel command to hide ladder block
- Move the mouse to the hidden ladder block that is currently grayed out.
- Click [View] → [Display Ladder Block].
- The selected ladder block is hidden
Attention :Show/hide ladder block
- Multiple ladder blocks can be hidden or shown..
- All ladder blocks can be shown or hidden by [View] →[Display All Ladder Block]/[Non-Display All Ladder Block].
- The ladder block can also be shown or hidden by Right-click → [Displaying/hiding ladder blocks]
The configuration of a project is displayed as a tree. The displayed content varies according to the type of programmable controller.
Below is an example for a simple project of QCPU (Q mode).
Simple project (without labels)
Simple project (with label)
One project per GX Works
- One GX Works2 can edit only one project.
- To edit two or more at the same time, run the number of GX Works2 programs equal to the number of projects.
- GX Works2 variable comments are classified into global variable comments and local variable comments.